Llanfechain Community Council

Cyngor Bro Llanfechain

www.llanfechain.org.uk

The AGM was held on May 9th 2017 at Llanfechain Memorial Hall

PRESENT       

Cllr G Marshall      S Chaloner   Cllr S Marshall      Cllr B Ellis

Members of the public 2


S Chaloner as the exiting Chair opened the meeting


1. APOLOGIES

None


2. DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE

Cllr G Marshall, Cllr S Marshall and Cllr B Ellis were returned uncontested after the elections. They duly signed their Declaration of Acceptance to abide by The Code of Conduct in the presence of the Proper Officer.


3. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN

Cllr Ellis nominated Cllr G Marshall as Chair, seconded by Cllr S Marshall. Cllr G Marshall accepted the post.


4. ELECTION OF VICECHAIR

Cllr S Marshall nominated Cllr Ellis, seconded by Cllr S Marshall; Cllr Ellis accepted the position as Vice Chair.


5. DECLARATIONS OF OFFICE

The new Chair and Vice Chair formally declared and signed their acceptance of their positions, witnessed by the Proper Officer.


6. REVIEW OF PAST YEAR

The Chair stated that the previous year had been very successful for the Community Shop which had won 2 awards in the PAVO Volunteers of the Year Awards, after being nominated by the Community Council.

Progress had been made towards a new play area to be located in the recreation field.  Confirmation had been received that the Lottery Bid had now been submitted, if successful, work on the new play area has been scheduled for early 2018. Positive responses had also been received about the transfer of title of the field to the Community Council.

Finalisation of the Cluster Group has almost been completed after lengthy consultations with Powys CC and the 12 Community Councils involved in the scheme.

Progress was being made on a new communications policy and guidance for councilors on correspondence received and complaints received.


7. REVIEW OF STANDING ORDERS

Councillors were asked to review those orders which had been adopted previously, no changes were asked for.


8. REVIEW OF INSURANCE COVER

There were no new observations on the level of insurance cover; deemed to be adequate at this present time. The Chair stated that next year cover would have to be extended to include any new play equipment and that the Community Council should then seek other quotes for insurance to be discussed at the  March 2018 meeting


9. NOMINATIONS OF COUNCILLORS TO ATTEND OUTSIDE MEETINGS

a) Memorial Hall Management Committee– Cllr S Marshall

b) Llanfechain Primary School – It was hoped that a volunteer from the Board of Governors would keep the Community Council updated. Cllr G Marshall to speak with the Chair of Governors.


c) Llanfechain Village Show – Cllr Ellis.

d) One Voice Wales – Cllr S Marshall offered to consider the position after consultation with the Cluster Group to see if anyone attends and discuss the benefits of attending the OVW meetings.

e) Playground Project Committee - The Clerk was asked to enquire if Mr. P Williams and Mrs. H Renwick would continue to keep the Community Council updated.

f) Powys CC Standards Sub Committee – An invitation to nominate a representative to the Sub Committee was considered. Cllr G Marshall to investigate further.


10. REVIEW OF WEBSITE, NEWSLETTER & PUBLIC COMMUNICATION

Cllr G Marshall to review and report back on the OVW Social Media Policy template and discuss with Mr D Ward to ensure compliance, review the website and include feedback opportunities.


11. PRESENTATION OF ACCOUNTS

The Clerk presented the annual audited and signed accounts, which had been overseen and verified once again by the internal auditor Mr Doug Holmes. There were no queries. Cllr Ellis proposed that they be accepted as correct, Cllr S Marshall seconded, all agreed.


12. HOW THE COUNCIL MANAGES IT’S RESERVES AND BALANCES

The Clerk stressed the importance for Councillors to be aware that the 2017/18 Audit will require proof that the Community Council has made plans for it’s reserves and balances and how it’s resources have been effectively managed and taken into account before setting the annual precept.


13. EFFECTIVENESS OF THE INTERNAL AUDIT

The 2017-18 audit, will examine the work undertaken by the internal audit in order to assess whether or not it meets the expectations of the sector and will also focus on the adequacy of work undertaken by the internal auditor illustrating the control arrangements that the council is required to have in place.


The meeting ended at 8 pm